Public Program | Artist 2 Artist with Sopheap Pichat Crow Collection of Asian Art • $10 for Conversation with Sopheap Pich only, $15 for Conversation + Art-making
Artist 2 Artist offers local artists and art enthusiasts the opportunity to meet each other, create, collaborate, and celebrate the exhibition Hidden Nature: Sopheap Pich.
Bring a friend or just yourself, and, in the spirit of the exhibition, create an original collaborative work of art with fellow artists.Open bar from 8:00 pm – 9:30 pm. Prizes awarded to the winning team.
About the Artist:
Sopheap Pich (b. 1971) is recognized today as Cambodia’s most internationally prominent contemporary artist. Born in Battambang, Cambodia, he moved with his family to the United States in 1984, and received his MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago in 1999. In 2002, he returned to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, where he continues to be based. Pich is known for working with local materials such as bamboo, rattan, burlap from rice bags, beeswax and earth pigments gathered from around Cambodia and making sculptures that are inspired by bodily organs, vegetal forms, and abstract geometric structures. His childhood experiences during the genocidal conditions of late 1970s Cambodia has had a lasting impact on his work, informing its themes of time, memory and the body.
- 6:30 – 7:00 pm | Check-In & Time in the exhibition Hidden Nature: Sopheap Pich
- 7:00 – 8:00 pm | A conversation with Sopheap Pich
- 8:00 – 9:00 pm | Collaborative art-making in teams of 2-3
- 9:00 – 9:30 pm | Presentation of Works, Peer Review & Selection of Winners
Winning Team will receive:
- Signed copy of Sopheap Pich’s catalog
- Free artist membership which includes FREE parking in the Arts District
- Winners posted on social media